Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Prawns and Sambal Jempol

This morning I was thinking of eating prawns. Thinking of how often my mother in Jakarta boils the fresh prawns and eat it with Sambal Jempol, the original hot chili made in Indonesia.

Actually I’m not a person who likes prawn very much. After I move to Penang, we often go to hawker food to have our meal. Every time I eat Hockian Mee, Curry Mee, Fried Kwetiaw, I will leave the prawns at the side.

Don’t know what makes me thinking of eating prawns today. Maybe because I’m pregnant. Am I craving?

I bought them home, and I cooked it for my tea time, and serve it with Sambal Jempol, I purposely bought this Chili back to Penang. Because I found that the chili sauce in Malaysia is not hot enough.

I really enjoy the prawns I cooked.

I found that eat prawns while pregnant is good. Because they are a good source of protein and zinc.

The protein is essential for the development of the baby (especially the brain) and may help protect against preeclampsia during pregnancy.

Zinc supports a healthy immune system, helps maintain your sense of taste and smell, and is needed for DNA synthesis. Zinc also supports normal growth and development during pregnancy, childhood, and adolescence.

The prawns don’t contain high levels of mercury like some other fish do.

The only risk is food poisoning, but it will not actually harm your baby. As long as consume the prawns while they are still fresh, and well cooked, then it is fine to eat them. Just don't eat a gone off prawn cocktail that's been sitting in the fridge for 3 weeks. This advice applies to anyone, not just pregnant women!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin