Friday, May 22, 2009

Train Fidel To Sleep Through The Night

Last week, I lied on the bed for three days. I had a bad flu-runny nose, fever, backache and headache. I really need my mother-in-law to take care of Fidel at daytime, and Joseph takes turn in the evening. I went to doctor and he suggested me to stop breastfeeding for 2-3days though he didn’t prescribe antibiotic for me. But anyhow I managed to breastfeed Fidel for 3-4times/day.

Usually I will feed my baby on the bed till him asleep and he will wake up and cry at least 2-3 times before he really got a deep sleep, again at 3-4am. Every time he must suck the breast milk only he will go back to sleep.

Since I was sick, Joseph thinks that it’s a best time to train him sleep through the night. Then, the training starts….

First night, after feed him to sleep (the last breast milk at night), I move to another room. Joseph sleeps with him. Like usual, he wakes up after 1hour, he cried but this time no more milk for him. Let him cry for half hour, and he go back to sleep.

Second night, he wakes up again at 1am, let him cry till he sleep. He woke up at 5am and tapped Joseph backside.

Third, fourth, till sixth day mostly he wakes up one time, and normally he sleeps again until 6am, and Joseph carries him to me, and I feed him.

Seventh day, he didn’t wake up at all from 10.30pm till 7.00am. We were surprised! Is it success? We are not sure about the answer. Joseph is sick now. I think I passed the virus to him. And Fidel will sleep with me again.

Thank God that Fidel is still fine; he is strong. I guess it because the antibody from the breast milk that he took while I was sick.

For all mothers who breastfeed your baby, when you are not feeling well, flu, fever, just continue the breastfeeding. Wear a face mask and feed your baby or you can pump the milk out. The breast milk will still contain antibody to prevent your baby from get sick.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin